Previous
Next
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

31 October 2021

Plastic Debris in the Mediterranean

the total annual plastics load going into the Mediterranean is approximately 17,600 tons

The Mediterranean Sea is considered a hot spot for plastic pollution. This is likely due to its densely populated coastlines, fishing, shipping, tourism, and a limited outflow of surface water to the Atlantic. At the same time, the Mediterranean is rich in biodiversity, making it an area of concern for the conservation of marine ecosystems.

A team of researchers has developed a model to track the pathways and estimated that the total annual plastics load going into the Mediterranean is approximately 17,600 tons, of which 3,760 tons are currently floating debris and of the total, 84% ends up on beaches and the remaining 16% ends up in the water column or the sea floor. The use of predictive models is critical for the designation of successful ecosystem-based management plans and policies for the mitigation of plastic pollution.

discover more

Also read:

The PhD Annalisa Azzola explains the consequences of climate change on these fragile marine organisms

“Corals are the ‘architects’ of the marine environment” explains Annalisa Azzola, PhD in Marine Science and Technologies at DISTAV, University of…

Fin whale songs could help scientists map what lies below the seafloor

Their songs are loud enough to penetrate Earth’s crust and reveal deep structures. Fin whale songs can be up to…

Scientists inquired how marine animals use light to camouflage themselves.

The coloration of animals in the ocean follows a surprisingly regular pattern by depth, most likely tied to how light…